Thursday, January 31, 2013

Welcome Hugo

 Hugo Campion

Born January 23, 2013

9 pounds, 1 ounce


Once again I am overwhelmed by the dignity of the human face: newly born, his person-hood is whole and complete, despite the fact that he has done nothing, said nothing. All is yet to come. "In my beginning is my end."

I see nothing in his face that reminds me of myself. I see only his father, and a person I don't know. Little man: you are so different from your sister. A quiet little brute, little lion. Her face was delicate, yours is wide. She was a storm, a fury, you are silent, still, skeptical. I wonder who you will become.

Once again I am left with my slack, after-baby body. Once again, the emotions, the exhaustion. But I am not overwhelmed this time, not surprised by the lack of sleep, my limp belly, the constant constant constant that is new-born care. Not shocked by the necessary stillness imposed by hours and hours of breastfeeding. I know all this, and I know all this will pass. I find I can wait in this moment, bear with it, savor the newness.


Hugo

...from the Old High German word for "heart," "mind," or "spirit."

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind..."

the meaning of Hugo reminds me of the strange Old English word "mod," which, roughly translated means "heart, mind, spirit," but can also mean strength. Or courage. Or even pride--arrogance. It is the strength, the stuff at the heart of a man.


Campion

after Edmund Campion, English priest and martyr, one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales, killed during the English Reformation. 



1 comment: